Tuesday, January 3, 2012

This is a HAPPY day for me!

I just want to tell all of you that I am truly excited about being the K-6 principal at Skyline!  As I look back on the sequence of events over the last couple of years it just makes me feel very blessed to be at this point.  If you're interested I'll tell you a little about that sequence of events, if you aren't interested, just skip to the next paragraph.  I had been checking about taking classes to get my license to be an administrator for several years, I just hadn't found a program that caught my eye and motivated me to actually do it.  At the end of the 09/10 school year I realized that the time had come and I really needed to challenge myself with something a little different if I was going to stay content in my career.  So Adam and I headed to KSU, he went to football camp and I went to talk to an advisor in the College of Education.  I learned what classes I would take if I went down that path at KSU, by the time I left I was enthused about starting their Ed Leadership program.  I remember telling the advisor I met with that "I really don't know what I want to do, I want to get into administration, but I don't really want to leave my school -- I love my school, it's a very unique and awesome place!"  I'll always remember she said "it sounds like you just need to reinvent yourself", and I nodded and thought to myself "what the heck does that mean?!?"  Well now, almost two years later, I think I understand what she meant.  After 18 hours of classes, lots of reading, lots of writing, lots of trips to Manhattan and lots of tuition - I really do have fresh enthusiasm and knowledge  for being a leader in education -- I think this is what reinvention must feel like, and I must say - I like it!

It's great to have this opportunity with what I consider to be an awesome staff!  I am very lucky lady!  I consider this to be a very different role for me, we'll talk more about that later.  I'm going to use this blog to try to maintain some communication with the K-6 staff.  I hope it will be easy for you to access this and keep up with what I am thinking and give you a chance to respond.  This certainly doesn't need to replace good 'ole face to face communication that we also need to have, please don't hesitate to come and see me if you have questions/concerns/etc.  My plan is to post at least once a week with plans for the week and as things come up.  

2 comments: