Monday, April 2, 2012

There is HOPE in the future!


Today I got the opportunity to listen to some really good speakers at a conference in Salina.  The first thing I learned was that many of our challenges are challenges all over the state, there’s just something comforting about sharing the pain!  My favorite speaker was Diane DeBacker, our Commissioner of Education.  I always appreciate reading and listening to her thoughts, she adds a lot of common sense to the equation.  She explained the waiver proposal that KSDE submitted to the US Department of Education.  I think that plan looks very promising and if it’s approved will provide a framework that empowers educators to do great things for students.  The greatest difference I see is that with QPA, state assessments are at least 50% of what determines our accreditation, with the new plan common assessments would account for 20% of our accreditation at most!  I’ll explain more at the faculty meeting on Wednesday. 

We do have the Yo-Yo assembly scheduled for May 3 from 8:30 – 9:15.  It looks like it will be a fun assembly.  You can see more about what to expect at this website.  http://www.yoyoempire.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=3&Itemid=4

We have 4th, 5th and 6th graders taking state assessments this week.  And it looks like K and 1st grade will be having some Easter Egg hunts, and then we will all enjoy a 4-DAY WEEKEND!  See you at the faculty meeting, I promise to have multiple forms of chocolate!

Becca

"The 12-step chocoholics program: Never be more than 12 steps away from chocolate!"
Terry Moore
  
(I have no idea who Terry is or if he really knows anything -- but I like his philosophy!)




No comments:

Post a Comment